Friday, February 24, 2012

Excerpts from an Interview with Sr. Leena Kattukaran, Ex-State Coordinator of PMI Andhra pradesh


I have fallen in love with our brethren behind bars
 (She is 77 and as Sr Leena Kattookaren, FMM, leaves the office of state co-ordinator of PMI in Andhra Pradesh, she speaks of her experiences and leaves behind words of wisdom).


You have been an active and very vibrant member of Prison Ministry in Andhra Pradesh. Can you share your prison experiences?


Prison Ministry was for me A Call within a call. It helped my own conversion whenever I visited my brothers and sisters behind the bars. I heard, I saw many innocent victims languishing in jail. And every time I heard the real story of their life, I thanked God for saving me from such situations. Every visit of mine helped me to increase my faith and trust in the Lord and helped me to spend more time praying before the Lord and thus getting into a Praying Ministry. Once I understood my brethren in the prison, I continuously prayed for more workers in His vineyard of prison ministry. I learned how to seek and ask the Lord for development of this ministry.

When I realised that prison ministry is a mission of mending  up broken hearts changing their attitudes into simple human beings, I began to spend more time before the Blessed Sacrament praying for this noble cause. I used to offer all the volunteers and co-ordinators to the Lord at the time of Consecration during the Eucharistic Celebration. And I really experienced Gods wonders through this ministry. The Lord heard my prayer and gave a co-ordinator for each diocese of AP in the course of time. Today, with the co-operation of Bishops, we have 13 diocesan co-ordinators for all the 13 dioceses to reach out to all the jails in AP.
Late Fr Maraiah and I used to visit the dioceses to give animation programmes for volunteers and trained more than 300 dedicated and committed volunteers. Our relationship with the prison officials was very cordial and they understood and supported us this ministry in a very systematic and organized manner. They always helped and supported us to visit the prisoners and do all what is allowed as per the prison manual. The officials, especially from the Correctional Wing, have always appreciated our service in love and compassion. My contact with Naxalites in Warangal prison through several visits, had helped their children to be educated in Missionary schools, made the Director General to give me permission to do the same for all the prisons in AP. The Naxalites are normally kept away from the others and no one dares to go to them because of their cruel behavior. Today, I can go to any prison in AP and speak to any prisoner. Praise the Lord!



Tell us about your how you first came into the ministry.


I was born and brought up in Kerala and joined the FMM Institute after my training. I worked in the school for 12 years. Then I moved to Chennai for further studies and remained there for three years. Next, I was transferred to Andhra Pradesh and worked in the school for 23 years. From day one, I worked on an aided post in different districts.

One year before my retirement, I began to reflect on my future mission. I knew the language and culture of the place and had very good experience with society and officials. I sat quietly and asked the Lord in prayer where He wanted me to go next. The Lord whispered in my ear, go to my prisoners. I simply put it off since I had great fear of thieves and policemen. I had a bitter experience of a thief at home when I was a child of four. This psychological fear lingered in me always. The following day, I prayed and again and got the same whisper. Next day, I opened the Bible and got Is.42/7 which said, Release the captives, go to the prisoners and set them free etc. I continued my reflection in prayer.

The next day Sunday, for the first time, I went to the Central Prison, Warangal, with another sister. The deputy superintendent took us around all the barracks. When we reached near the women’s barrack, I stopped to listen to the lady jawans. There were about 65 women in the barrack. The jawans pointed out three women and told me they were ex-students of Fatima School. I used to be the headmistress of Fatima School, a very old and reputed Institution in Warangal Dist. I began to question myself what did we give to them to stand on their own feet in the society? Then while we were having a cup of tea at the superintendent’s house, he asked me if I could spend half an hour to visit the women and give them moral instruction.
His daughter was also my student and he knew my relationship with the students in the school. Again, I began to think in silence connecting with all the previous events the Lords words, Bible text and now this man asking for the same. When I said yes, he asked me to get a letter from the district collector for regular visits. The next step was meeting the collector and explaining to him the reason why I wanted the letter. He sent me the letter the next day and I went to the prison the following Sunday. The superintendent was at his house and I went to him as the deputy superintendent advised me. The superintendent was a Brahmin and in the very first instance he told me, Oh, you have come to convert my people into your religion! I told him, the first part is for me to convert their attitudes but the second part is not for me, and if at all you come to know that I have baptised someone to my religion, you can stop me immediately. Then he allowed me to go forward and visit not only the women but also the youngsters in the other barracks.



What were the hurdles in getting access to the prisoners in the jail?

I did not have many hurdles from the officials. They were very happy that I, a Keralite, had offered myself to help the Correctional Wing of the prison department in serving the prisoners with love and compassion. They were ready to give the necessary permissions and support in seeing to the welfare of the prisoners. Sometimes, we had to go through rough and tough ways to continue our ministry, mainly because of certain officials with wrong understanding. If there was any problem with respect to volunteers, I would approach the DG and get it rectified. So far, there is a great respect and acceptance between us. So, I could have a good relationship with the officials and the Church authorities.

What are your perspectives about the situation of prisoners in the jail?


Here in AP, there are about 15,000 prisoners. If we have really committed and service-minded volunteers, we can do a lot. The volunteers change from time to time so some animation programme is required for the new ones. As far as the officials are concerned, they will not care much for the welfare of the inmates. We should be their saviours, the link between the government and prison officials, to plead for their cause.
The candidates of petty cases, for example, can be sent away soon if someone speaks for them and brings them to the notice of higher authorities. But they are kept for days, months and years. There is no one to plead for them. As Gandhiji said, Five years of punishment is enough for the prisoners to be corrected and sent them to society. Immediate needs are not provided for in some cases. There is no one to give them counseling, to get in touch with a lawyer for their cases, to visit the families and reach out to them etc.

What are your sentiments about the prisoners and the ministry, while you leave your office as the state co-ordinator of PMI in AP?


I lift my eyes and thank the Lord for being with me all these 12 years and showing me such progress in the mission of the Church today. I also thank the Lord for His call to this noble Ministry.
Prison Ministry is not to stop, it will continue till the end of the world. As long as there are people in the world, there will be prisons and this mission is absolutely necessary. As I leave the office of state co-ordinator, my prayer is: Lord, may my successor, your servant, understand that this is special call for him. It was a call within a call for me and you strengthened my call all through. I pray for the same for my successor and may he experience the importance of this ministry, for this is the command of the Lord, to continue His Mission here on earth for His beloved children. The Lord came in search of the lost sheep and He wants us to continue this search for the last, lost and the least of the society. Yes, I pray every day during the Consecration for the co-ordinators and the volunteers of PMI in AP.

This Mission is very dear to me for; we are building human beings with our visit to the prisoners.
What are your hopes for the future of Prison Ministry India?


The seed that was sown by the Founders of Prison Ministry should flourish, not in quantity of numbers but in QUALITY. People who accepted this as a special call from the Lord should dedicate themselves for this noble cause. The members who are responsible should give the volunteers real MOTIVATION. Organise animation programmes from time to time for those who have come forward to be true disciples of Christ so that they can be trained for this Mission. They must be prepared not for money but for their reward in heaven.
All are sinners; today they are caught and put in prison. And it is our duty and responsibility to go in search of them to bring back to the fold. May this Ministry be accepted by the Church and the faithful as one of the ministries of the Church and instruct the faithful to be Christ’s disciples for this ministry.



Most of the people languishing behind the bars are young. Would you like to give some suggestions to the youth to live well?


Here, I go back to my first association with the Naxalites in Warangal prison. The Naxalites are considered terrorists and when I listened to them patiently, I understood they too have their own views. This particular group is composed of mostly youth. Very few are genuine Naxalites, the others are caught in the trap. Why? Due to poverty, unemployment problems, disputes, quarrels at home , not given due respect etc. Unless and until, we listen and understand their problems, we cannot do anything . The psychology of youth is totally different. So, what we can do is, accept them as they are and build a good rapport with them. Listen to their ideas and views. Speak to them like St Paul spoke to Onesimus , gently, with sympathy and compassion. They can be changed and transformed into better people. And remember, they are the backbone of our country. Pray for them, praise them in spite of their bad behaviour. No action will be done without reason. Try to see good in them and bring them to the feet of the Lord. Then speak to them about authentic living. It will take time, but we can win them to our fold and make them instruments and builders of our society.

Message for the volunteers working in the prisons?

From my 20-year experience, I can say that accept this Mission as a call from the Lord. Every volunteer should be equipped with two certificates, ie, conviction and commitment. Work in this Ministry with dedication and commitment as long as you can. Pray to the Lord of the harvest to send more volunteers into His vineyard. Build up a good relationship with the prison officials and the Church authorities. Accept the challenges and do everything in humility and simplicity. Every time you meet with challenges, it is a sign of God,s love to strengthen you in your Mission. Let your aim be to bring about ATTITUDINAL changes among the prisoners filling them with the light of Christ our Saviour. Allow them to listen, to ponder what you say and help them to change in themselves. Finally, Prison Ministry is a PRAYING MINISTRY, an EVANGELISING MINISTRY.

What are your future plans?


I will continue visiting my people in the prisons. I have literally fallen in love with them. They are my source of strength in prayer. I pray for the inmates, prison officials and the families of prisoners before the Lord. Yes, I am already 77 years old and I have certain ailments and yet I told my provincial, I will continue visiting my beloved brethren until I drop down. I am ready to help anyone who is in need of my help. Please pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment